Hello, my dear and lovely readers!
If you’ve been with me for some time, and/or you read the one-paragraph bio that I knocked out under the “About” tab, you know that I blog in a few other places than here. In fact, I work as the associate editor for the amazing body-positive website Adios Barbie, which has been providing body-positive resources for bodies at a variety of intersections of identity, and questioning the status quo about our bodies, since 1998. They’re amazing. (We’re amazing?) If you haven’t checked us out and you’re still in the mood for some positivity, discussion, and awareness – of course you are! – make sure you check us out there.
But you don’t need to stop after you’ve looked! Adios Barbie is currently accepting internship applications!
Yep, get excited! You could get involved in a well-established, well-respected, and pretty freaking awesome body-positive community right now, just by sending in your application. Adios Barbie is where I got my start blogging and dealing with these issues, and I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. So you should all totally get on that.
Plus, it’s a virtual position, meaning that you can join our team from the comfort of your living room! I go to work in my pajamas – what’s not to love?
Interested? For more details, keep reading…
Six-Month Internship with Adios Barbie
Positions Available: 4
Adios, Barbie: The One Stop Body Image Shop for identity issues including size, race, media, and more!
Since the dawn of the world wide web (or at least since 1998), AdiosBarbie.com has been the only site whose mission is to broaden the concept of body image to include people of all races, ages, cultures, genders, abilities, sexual orientations, and sizes.
Adios Barbie seeks diversity- not only in content, but also in our team. Thus, we want folks of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We believe feminism is for everyone and urge folks who take a stand for or are feminists of color to apply as well.
This groundbreaking movement is seeking enthusiastic, change-minded people to join in the body-positive revolution. Four six-month internships are currently available with the possibility of advancement to a permanent role with the team at their completion.
We are looking for interns in three different fields: Writing/Publishing, PR/Social Media, and Advertising/Marketing. Please see below for the duties and responsibilities required of each position.
Want to intern with Adios Barbie but feel that you have a different skill set? Send us a pitch! Let us know how you can help, and we’ll consider your idea!
Writing and Publishing
*Note – Two positions available
- Research and develop content
- Obtain web content in various forms (print, podcast, videos, etc.) for sharing and publication
- Write one original piece (journalistic article, commentary, media analysis, etc.) per month
- Have interest and experience in the field of their internship.
Public Relations and Social Media
*Note – One position available
- Increase the visibility and impact of the organization
- Maintain and develop media lists, press releases, and basic PR functions
- Promote Adios Barbie using social media tools, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Communicate and interact with the public via social media
- Familiarity with WordPress, basic html, and google analytics a plus
Advertising and Marketing
*Note – One position available
- Assist in fundraising
- Perform administrative and editing tasks for Adios Barbie
- Create and promote Kickstarters or other fundraising campaigns
- Help to create advertising strategies – both to bring advertisers to the site and to spread the word about Adios Barbie
- Familiarity with Photoshop and design a plus
Ideal Candidate Charactaristics
We are actively seeking candidates who are:
- Sensitive and compassionate with a working knowledge of the following issues and how they intersect: media literacy, race, gender, age, identity, size, ability, and body image
- Driven by a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative needing limited supervision
- Team players who are open to collaboration
The internships are virtual positions; thus, applicants must have reliable high-speed internet connections and be skilled and responsible regarding electronic communication. Since the positions are remote, anyone anywhere in the world can apply.
Adios Barbie is run entirely by volunteers. As such, these internships are unpaid.
The time required is negotiable. However, interns should expect to devote an average of ten hours per week to their projects.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- A resume
- A letter of interest, including how both you and the organization can benefit from this collaboration
- A writing sample of 300-800 words on a topic relevant to the work of Adios Barbie
Applicants are encouraged (but in no way required) to submit:
- Examples of previous related work
- Links to blogs or other portfolios
- Letters of recommendation
- List of relevant coursework
Please indicate in the subject line which position you are applying for.
Interviews will be held via Skype.
Deadline for applications:
Monday, February 17th, 2014
Send applications and questions to:
Pia Guerrero, Founder/Editor
If you’re interested but the timeline poses a problem, contact us at email@example.com and let us know, and we can talk about your schedule.
Can’t wait to read your applications!